WordPress has become a popular choice for designers and website owners when determining a CMS (Content Management System) to build their website on. At Bulldog Graphic Design, also use WordPress for many of our client websites due to the simple, yet powerful, framework. This pre-built interface is beneficial for us and the client as it eliminates the need to re-invent the wheel (aka a custom CMS) each time and launch the final product on a quicker timeframe. Something everyone is looking for!
However, once you launch your WordPress website, many people do not understand that there are updates to the WordPress framework that need to be implemented throughout the year. In 2011, WordPress released a mix of 20 updates and security fixes for the core system, 10 of which were major version upgrades. In addition to the WordPress core updates, each plug-in you have installed may also come out with their own updates / security fixes that need to be updated. If you do not implement them, your website may be opened up to hackers, spam or malware attacks. These security holes may range from pop-up ads appearing on your site, hidden content displayed on pages, spam being sent out from your email accounts or even malware being installed … banning your website from search engines and taking your website offline.
What Steps are Involved to Update WordPress?
The amount of work involved to update a WordPress installation will vary from site to site, depending on the size of the website and the number of plug-ins installed. Most updates will average between a half hour to 1 hour of time from start to finish. This includes each of the steps below:
- Create and download a back-up of the website and database content
- Determine the compatibility of the WordPress update with the plug-ins currently running on the website
- If plug-ins also need updating, download and install updated plug-ins into WordPress system
- If all plug-ins are compatible, enable a “maintenance” message on the website for anyone who may visit the website during the update
- Install the WordPress update files
- Check the website for full functionality to ensure nothing looks out of place or functions incorrectly
- Re-enable the full website live online
How Much Does it Cost?
If you have administration privileges to the WordPress administration area and are comfortable performing the updates and you want to, you can do them yourself at no cost. However, if you are not sure what may be compatible or how to perform the update, we do offer a WordPress Update Service to ensure you are constantly up-to-date and secure!
Contact Us to sign up today!